Thursday, May 08, 2008

Curves Alternative

The idea of circuit training is a good one - maximize your workout time by doing both strength training and cardio. However, not all of us have the time or money for a gym membership. A few years ago another homeschool mom shared her idea for home circuit training using your stairs. I absolutely LOVED it and have used it to this day.

The basic idea is to run (or walk) up and down the stairs 2-3 times, depending on fitness level, and do some exercise reps, like push-ups, at the top of the stairs. Repeat sets of strength exercises with running up and down your stairs. This circuit workout is based on this same idea. You can always switch it up by doing different exercises. I like to put on a Bible-related internet stream while I work out, such as
New Living Translation (Dramatized) (I am studying 1 Kings currently) or "Renewing Your Mind" by RC Sproul at oneplace.com.

I haven't worked out in a couple of weeks, and I am feeling pretty feeble. Here is my plan for this week combining ideas for upper body/abs from the Bikini Workout and the at-home circuit idea. I figure that waking or running those stairs is plenty of work for my lower body at this point. : ) Exercises will be on a towel (since I don't own a real workout mat) at the top of the stairs, 10-15 repetitions.

First, stretch out and warm up. I like to also open in prayer and then turn my music or teaching on when the workout starts.
  1. 1 set Ab Crunches
  2. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  3. 1 set Ab Crunches
  4. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  5. 1 set Push Ups
  6. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  7. 1 set Push Ups
  8. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  9. 1 set Oblique Crunches with Twist
  10. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  11. 1 set Oblique Crunches with Twist
  12. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  13. 1 set One-Arm Side Push Up
  14. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  15. 1 set Bicep One-Arm Side Push Up
  16. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  17. 1 set Tricep Dips
  18. Walk stairs (up and down) 4x
  19. FINISH BY MOVING QUICKLY BETWEEN EXERCISES: 1 set Tricep Dips
  20. 1 set Ab Crunches
  21. 1 set Push Ups
  22. 1 set Oblique Crunches with Twist
  23. 1 set One-Arm Side Push Up
  24. 1 set Tricep Dips
  25. Slowly walk stairs (up and down) 4x - recovering and breathing deeply
Stretch out and cool down a bit more if needed.

End with a prayer of thankfulness for at least 10 things today! Making a decision to get our bodies and appetites into submission is a choice to have greater energy and greater vitality in serving our King!

Fitness Tracker
Day 1: Did #1-18 followed by cool down. It took 20 minutes or so? Will have to work my way up! Listened to 1 Kings Ch 1-8 on audio.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am 27 and fairly in shape, not really from working out but I walk a lot. This would kill me. Great idea though. I'm going to try it.