Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hidden Treasures

This is my first official blog entry. It has been so uplifting viewing others' blogs, I thought it would be fun to take a crack at blogging myself. Who am I? By His grace, I am first of all a follower of Jesus Christ, a wife to a great husband, a homeschooling mom to a vibrant 4th grader, a student of the Scriptures, and a part-time preschool teacher. Today's blog entry is based on Colossians 2...that all wisdom and knowledge is hidden in Christ. NOT man's philosophy, NOT in American culture, NOT in homeschooling, NOT in material possessions, but in Christ.

...that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself,
in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge....Colossians 2:2-3

A dear friend and I have been working through a Precept Colossians study, and it has been amazing. If you have never done a Precept study, may I heartily recommend finding a class in your area or a friend to work through a study on your own. We are really learning to dig into the Scriptures!

Currently in our homeschool we are beginning a study of the American Civil War using a Living Books approach, and TruthQuest as a guide. I went to the library last night and found a few excellent books, videos and audio books. The Boys War, A Nation Torn, Lincoln: A Photobiography, and Behind Rebel Lines all look like excellent reads. We will also listen to Little Women on audio and watch the Ken Burns Civil War videos. I can't wait to get started! Lately, I have been working on some TruthQuest history schedules, as well as some easy downloadable notebook pages. I will be uploading to my blog soon!


For my own education, I am reading a book myself on the topic of women in the Old South called Within the Plantation Household: Black and White Women of the Old South (Gender and American Culture) by Elizabeth FoGenovese. It looks a bit heavy-handedly feminist in perspective, but I expect it to be an interesting read.

OK, that's enough for my first post. I'll be back soon. Be sure and check back!



No comments: