Monday, April 14, 2008


Composer Corner: Antonin Dvorak
(1841-1904)


I am putting together our summer composer study here at my blog. This way, I won't lose a cd or misplace a paper (!) and hopefully someone else can benefit from the resources as well. This term I wanted to choose a composer that our family is unfamiliar with. I would enjoy adding to this resource list, so feel free to let me know if you have something that I could post here to add to the study.

My plan is to simply listen to one song from my Project Playlist (below) over a couple weeks' time during free time, craft time, phy-ed time etc. Having a virtual You Tube! field trip (see below) to the orchestra looks like fun, too! We will also learn about the composer's life by reading a bit about him each week using "Stories of the Great Composers Book 1" and "Color the Classics II." Color the Classics has some nice coloring pages and a good composer's time line. Stories of the Great Composers has puzzle-type activities. Both resources have listening selections on CD. The only reason I am using a bit of both is that they happen to be on my shelf. : ) Perhaps we will do a little notebooking or lapbooking too. We'll see.

Resources for this study:

Dvorak's Life

Stories of the Great Composers Book 1 - Unit 8 - "Dvorak"

Color the Classics II
- page 32 - "Dvorak"

Alternative if you do not own either of these: The Story of Dvorak in Words and Music

Dvoraks' Music

Project Playlist selections below, or a "Best of" CD, about one song every two weeks

Ambleside Online
: 2004-2005 TERM 1 (This term's artist is Mary Cassatt) Antonin Dvorak (1888) (AN-toe-NEEN d-VOR-zhak) 1841-1904, Late Romantic

Listening selections for this term:
Symphony 9 From the New World
Slavonic Dances
Carnaval Overture (may also be spelled Karneval)
Humoresques for piano
Quartet in F maj ("American")
Trio in E min ("Dumky")


Website with a bit of biography AND music:
Classics for Kids


















5 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

He was probably a wonderful gentleman, but the pic makes him look a.n.g.r.y. ;) You've got great resources here!

Tami, full-time mom; part-time foodie said...

LOL! Maybe he had a busy homeschooling wife who was not meeting his needs properly. : D

: )
Tami

Anonymous said...

What a need idea!

Tina in WA said...

Sounds like fun! You are always so creative. :o)

I think over the summer we will be doing Time Travelers CD (thinking New World Explorers because I already own it).

TTFN! :o)

~yolanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! What books do you use to incorporate your Charlotte Mason Methods?