Monday, April 02, 2007


FORGIV'ENESS, n. forgiv'ness.
1. The act of forgiving; the pardon of an offender, by which he is considered and treated as not guilty. The forgiveness of enemies is a Christian duty.

2. The pardon or remission of an offense or crime; as the forgiveness of sin or of injuries.

3. Disposition to pardon; willingness to forgive.
And mild forgiveness intercede to stop the coming blow.

4. Remission of a debt, fine or penalty.

--From Webster's 1828 Dictionary



  • “So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.” Colossians 3 :12-13
Last night a friend and I finished up our Precept study of the book of Colossians. Verses 12-13 of chapter 3 (above) challenge, admonish, and even command us to forgive others as we are also forgiven by God. Then the verse goes on. Am I kind? Am I compassionate? To children, husband, co-workers, extended family members? Am I holding a grudge against anyone who has wronged me?

  • 'The act of forgiving; the pardon of an offender, by which he is considered and treated as not guilty. The forgiveness of enemies is a Christian duty.' (Webster)

A Christian duty – how simply put and yet how profoundly true! I needed that reminder to let go of the offenses of yesterday and give each person a clean slate, just as God gives me new mercy each day.
  • '...put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other...'

“Well, you don't know WHAT the person did to me!” Yes, but God does. He will repay and judge each person according to what he has done. That isn't up to me! Is there anyone that you can't stand to be around because of an old grudge?
  • 'For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.' -Jesus speaking in Matt 6:14-15

Jesus is not in the business of making suggestions. His word regarding forgivenss is sure. My prayer this week is that I will be a woman of grace and forgiveness. Forgiveness is not natural, it has to be an intentional choice. An act of the will. It calls for trust --trust in the Lord's ultimate judgement. Every person will have to give account to God one day and stand before His judgement seat. Isn't it ironic that we so often seek grace and forgiveness from God for ourselves, but then want God's justice for everyone else. Hmmm. Can't have it both ways, can I?

Prayer:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting. Help me to devote myself to putting on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience by Your enabling. Remind me to forgive others, as You have forgiven me. Set me free from secret grudges and lingering bitterness. I yield them to You. Search my heart. --Psalm 139:23-24, Col 3:12-13.


No comments: