Wednesday, January 07, 2009


THE GREAT WAR UNIT STUDY


We're back from Christmas with a new six-week unit study focus on World War I. I am so excited about this! Since I know next to nothing about this topic, I read an EXCELLENT book over Christmas break called The Yanks Are Coming. It pulled me into a topic I am a little reluctant about, and I can happily report that The Yanks Are Coming is back in print, published by Beautiful Feet! This is a factual history that reads more like a novel, and is perfect as teacher background or a high school level spine.



We are beginning a couple days this week by watching one of the excellent videos from the series
The First World War, an outstanding DVD series! The remainder of the day will be devoted to unit-related reading, research, writing, and student-selected projects. To keep our day simple, we are only adding math daily and alternating language arts and Bible.



Here's what we are doing our first week:
  • Family Read Aloud (girl interest): Rilla of Ingleside
  • Independent Literature Book (girl interest): After the Dancing Days - Ch 1-5
  • "Spine" Book: World War II by Peter Bosco - Ch 1-4
  • Videos: The First World War (Parts 1 & 2 of 10), The Trench
  • Discuss and or Define: Causes of WW I, The Central Powers, The Allies, Militarism, Imperialism, Nationalism, Alliance
  • Begin Making The Great War review game: We will create True/False questions from each WW I chapter and play a game with them.
  • Student-selected mini-project: Write a newspaper article covering the sinking of the Lusitania
  • Notebooking: Design a page on either "The Sinking of the Lusitania" or "Causes of The Great War"
  • Supplementary challenges, accountability questions, and cross-curricular activities: World War I Thematic Unit by Teacher Created Resources



I will post more over the next six weeks, and will be compiling a six-week WW I lesson plan AND WW I videos list, so please stop by again soon!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an excellent unit study and fun too!! Can't wait to read more about it. Enjoy!
Stacy :-)

Rhonda said...

You always have such great ideas. I'm always glad that I'm about a year behind you, so I can take advantage of them. :)

I'm glad y'all enjoyed TLP. We are almost finished with ours and it's gone really well. I think we'll do one more before the end of the year.

Anonymous said...

Those really sound like great books and a really thorough and interesting lesson plan.